Not sure where to start with resolutions this January? Here are our top 5 ways to make a fresh start for the New Year:
1. Get Healthy: Eating better and exercising more are popular choices for resolutions, and there's no better time than after Christmas.
2. Make Time for What's Important: Spending more time with family and friends ranks highly amongst our priorities for the New Year. Set aside time each week to see the people that matter, and plan activities that you can enjoy together.
3. Kick Bad Habits: It's time to kick that bad habit you've been promising to give up for months. Make a plan and reward yourself for sticking to it. Focus on the benefits to your health and your bank balance- it's all about a positive attitude.
4. Try Something New: Whether it's that Zumba class you've always wanted to try, or a new language you've thought about learning, now is the time to go for it.
5. Do Something Good: From helping out a neighbour, donating to charity or even participating in a fundraising event yourself, there are so many ways in which you can make a difference. Doing something for others is also a great way to feel more positive, so make a fresh start and get involved!
Get 2013 off to a healthy start with this zesty chicken salad.
Chicken & Orange Couscous Salad
2 large handfuls couscous
1 lemon, juice only
3 oranges, 2 juice only, 1 left whole
a couple glugs fruity olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a handful chicken meat from a leftover organic roast chicken
a handful chopped fresh chives
a handful fresh basil leaves, more if you fancy
a handful pea shoots
Put the couscous in a bowl and pour over some boiling water (it should cover the grains by a couple of centimetres or so). Leave for about 15 minutes, until the couscous has absorbed the liquid.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and the orange juice with the olive oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, adding more olive oil if desired. Pour the dressing over the cooked couscous and let it soak the dressing up for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel the remaining orange by cutting the ends off, placing it on a chopping board and cutting down the sides with a sharp knife to remove the skin and pith. Cut the orange into good-sized chunks. Add the orange chunks, chicken and herbs to the couscous and mix gently. Don't over-mix; it's about a lightness of touch.
Divide the pea shoots between two plates or shallow dishes and then gently top each with the chicken couscous salad.