This week we're talking to make-up artist to the stars, Kenneth Soh, on the best styles for AW14. Kenneth also provides useful tips for aspiring make-up artists and his top beauty products that everyone should own.
Do you have any advice for aspiring make-up artists?
Don't give up! If you really want a part of this amazing industry, you have to be open to all sorts of inspiration. Go read up about fine art, fashion, costume & film & theatre. You have to be familiar with fashion, hair & makeup throughout history ranging from Cleopatra to Kate Moss. It's a tough road but nothing worth getting is easy so learn and assist artists who you admire and try and enjoy the journey.
What's your favourite AW14 make-up look?
There were so many from so many shows! Too many to count. I love the slightly awkward looks that paired harder to wear shades like the cold wash of silver with a teal or pink flicked liner at Chanel or the Grey & Teal combo at Giles but also the minimal grooming at Balmain of blowy complexions with groomed brows.
If you could choose any city, which would be your favourite fashion capital?
London for sure! Which other fashion capital would have such a mix of minimalism, grungy rock & roll, full on glamour staging side by side? I love how everyone and anyone has their rightful place in this city, creating the homogeneous patchwork that is London!
What's your must-have Aspinal item/bag?
I always have my Zipped Travel Wallet in Navy Lizard and Cream Suede when I'm whizzing around the world for work. It keeps everything I need from currency, boarding cards, passport all zipped up securely and it's such a gorgeous colour! I'm working to getting the Candy Case in Navy Lizard too! I'm a sucker for matching cases!
What's your career highlight to date? Any pinch-me moments?
To be honest, not to sound corny but everything! I am so amazed and proud when a celeb I look after for a red carpet event is papped and the next day she gets accolades for looking amazing, or when a campaign I worked on is blown up several storeys high and everywhere. I also get extreme joy and pleasure when I work with someone shy and introvert who has never had her makeup done and to watch their reactions when they see themselves in the mirror afterwards. They become more confident and come out of their shell. I love that! I still get shivers of absolute delight.
What top 5 beauty products do you believe every man/woman should own?
1) A balm cleanser such as Emma Hardie's Moringa Balm or Clinique Cleansing Balm to dissolve impurities & grime on the face.
2) A flannel to use with hot hot water to cleanse face with the cleanser.
3) A facial oil such as L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Youth Oil, Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate Oil or Balance Me Radiance Face Oil. To nourish, protect and luxuriate all skin types.
4) An efficient SPF product like Zelens Daily Defence Sunscreen or La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL, both non-greasy but great for fighting sun damage.
5) A fragrance that embodies your whole being and is your signature. Something that will make an impact before you enter a room and leave an unforgettable lasting impression long after you leave! Ha! Mine is Santal 33 by Le Labo.